Develop your Skills for local and long haul
To conduct the movement of freight efficiently, professionally and safely within the time frame allocated within Federal, State and company regulations and guidelines. Freight movement can vary from short distances to being away from home several days and over weekends. Freight being hauled will vary greatly in weight and dimensions.
- Must have 6 months driving experience with school course. Proof will be needed.
- No more than 2 moving violations in any type of motor vehicle in the last 3 years.
- No license suspension/disqualification for traffic convictions within the last 3 years.
- No more than 2 license suspensions for non-moving violations.
- A copy of a valid long form physical and medical card performed in the last 12 months.
- A DOT drug test with a negative result is required before starting to drive.
- No drug or alcohol (DUI/DWI) related convictions/incidents within the last 5 years. Incidents over 5 years will be reviewed.
- No more than 1 preventable accident in the last 3 years.
- No discharge for safety reasons from a previous employer.
- Capable of throwing as many as 10-15 (10 lbs) straps and/or 5-10 chains (25-30 lbs) over freight to secure load (may occur more than once a day).
- Pull tarps, weighting up to 100 lbs, to tarp and un-tarp.
- Capable of securely ratcheting securement tie downs taut with up to 100 pounds of force.
- Pull bungee cords at chest level to assist in tarping load.
- Capable of climbing in/out of cab and climbing on/off trailer several times per day.
- Prolonged sitting – up to 11 hours per 24 hour period driving.
- Performs pre-trip inspection, safety inspections and end of day inspections requiring stooping, bending and crouching.